Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mom stuff... donations, cards, flowers

Some have contacted asking about memorial donations in my mother's name. I appreciate your desire to contribute as an honor to her life. First, please read the message a few posts below- we would love to have a piece of commemorative art to add to our current display and to later add to our scrapbooks.

If you were on a group or list with her and would like to contribute to flowers, please contact her good friend Zanna, who has kindly organized a collection. Her email address and paypal ID is mrsxanadu@verizon.net. Zanna asked about what to do with extra money that is collected, if there is any, and I have asked that half be offered to my dad to cover his burial expenses (my mom was uninsureable because of health conditions), and half be donated to the non-profit Village Free School. This is a wonderful school that my son attends. He has always struggled in school and has found a lovely home here, and my mom was so grateful. She had a monthly donation by debit card that went to the school, and was a real supporter of this alternative form of education. (See http://www.villagefreeschool.org/ for more info.

If you would like to make a donation directly to the Village Free School in her honor, please go to the school's website and send along a message with your donation. These donations are tax-deductible. You can set up a monthly draft for as little as $2 or make a one-time donation in mom's honor.

Thank you for all your well wishes and kind thoughts.
I close with some pictures that my niece Rain has been making for her grandma. See the Grandma with Frida picture on the bottom. Rain learned to be an artist from her grandma.
sincerly,
Melanie

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:37 AM

    Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother. I hope it is some comfort to you that she touched so many lives with her joy of art. And you can really see it in the smile on your niece's face.

    My thoughts are with you.
    Traci Bunkers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain's Frida drawings brought a big smile on my face. My favorite is the one of Grandma with Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to your mother. I am wowed by Rain's art-its just awesome. What a wonderful talent she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Hello, Malanie. I am yet another person who is deeply saddened by the loss of Vickie. I had swapped with her a few times over the last couple of years, and was in a couple of her Yahoo groups. I always admired not only her work but her ability to continue to be creative despite great trouble and discomfort. It was apparent that she had cut back on some things lately, but she was still posting and, as we see here, making art up until the very last. I hope we can all take a lesson from that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i left a donation for village freeschool but there wasn't anywhere to leave a note. i put it in my address and hope they figure it out. thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie,
    I'm so very sorry. I'm glad she was able to spend her day creating and pass peacefully and quickly surrounded by love.
    Weird thing, I was thinking of your Mom and you the day before, wondering how you guys were doing since I lost touch.

    A HUGE hug to you sweetie, my thoughts are with you all at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mom is an extraordinary artist and such a sweet human being.
    She was the first person to post an art piece of mine on the internet at her website....I was thrilled and let her know it!!!
    I will certainly miss her, she was so special!
    Love to you and your family,
    Cat Dodt-Ellis

    ReplyDelete